So now I’m in 3rd year… Yay
Taking on a lot of work this year so far, as well as general coursework.
First I’m taking part in the Samsung Developer Challenge with my friends Julie Kennedy, Tom Haygarth and Martin Scott. The plan is to develop a Warioware style game for Samsung Galaxy Note 5.3 and 10.1, taking advantage of the SPen and other hardware features. Working on this has been really fun so far, and I’m really looking forward to 24 hour the codeathon in a few weeks.
As part of the Abertay Game Dev society I’ve been working with a new team to develop a 3D survival/puzzle game in Unity called Submersion. The idea is that the player is trying to escape an underwater prison that is flooding, while trying to solve puzzles to continue through the maze.
A few posts ago I talked about my new modules at Uni and the start of my groups Game Society project, so I just wanted to write about these projects a little and the progress made on them since the University year is now finished.
For the Game Society we formed a team called What A Twist and are currently working on a project called “The Chroma Project.” We’ve been creating the game in Unity, which has been a fun experience using a new platform to develop on. The game is a first person 3D puzzle platform game, using light as a mechanic to control the puzzles. Other mechanics in the game include moving platforms and localized lights, as well as some standard features like checkpoints, skybox and a title screen. Although there are only a few levels in the game so far, they …
A busy wekeend consisiting on Developing a few projects I have in the pipeline.
The highlight of the project will consist of working on a game Tom and I began during Dundee Game Jam last year. We were really passionate about the idea but it never really got worked on after that weekend, so hopefully we can finally get that off the ground.
Running up to the weekend i actually plan on completing some sort of concept… eventually :p
I also plan on working on the What A Twist game… not sure how, but i will do something for this!!!! :)
Last week I joined the Abertay Game Development Society, which I’m so happy about. Everyone involved has been saying “This should have been done such a long time ago” and its true, someone really should have been working on this YEARS ago.
This week we were assigned to groups and asked to come up with a concept, something we can work on as a team and develop in our spare time. The concept we decided to go for is kind of awesome, and we decided to use Unity to create the game. Our team is composed of a mix of first and second year students, and we all seem to have varying skill levels and programming knowledge, but its still going to be fun
From an academic point of view this is going to be a great opportunity to be working with a new platform I’ve never tried previously, and …
I can finaly start working on a bunch of other projects I’ve waned to start for a while.
The first will be completing the full concept work for The Cave. Although i am happy with how the Graphics and Console game came out, they are open for vast improvements in soooo many ways! Hopefully over the course of the next few months I do still find the time to work on them.
Another project I want to work on is Reflections and Artifacts. I plan to make Reflections and Artifacts as a windows Graphics game, much like The Cave, and I’ve already started writing the concept for the game out, but only a few brief details.
This next month is going to be very busy, applying for internships and working on my portfolio. January is going to be fun.
I can finally say I feel like I might complete this project in the near future.
I finally completed my singular Enemies class, implemented into each code and got two basic rooms running correctly as they should. The artwork for all my sprites are now complete (I spent like two hours trying to drawing a Minotaur on Photoshop… Fun times!) and the hard work will eventually pay off
I made quite a few changes in the original sprite class to help with porting my code for console development, mostly just changes to function names and declarations.
I still have quite a few things I need to add; user interface, menus, re-implement different enemies movement patterns, create the “Boss Fights”, player weapons and magic. I’m hoping to complete this and my Pathfinding portfolio before heading home for Christmas.